Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Wake Up Call to SLEEP !!!

Without beating around the bush guys, I think all of you are more than intelligent to infer, right from the title of this post, that I am unabashedly in love with the beautiful phenomena which nature has designed (and which I have a deep respect for) to refresh & recharge our entire system. Without spinning the yarn any further, let me tell you that I unequivocally am referring to  SLEEP.

I have been a night bird throughout my school and college life, and have tried all possible wierd time tables- on the pretext of "burning the midnight oil"- I've done-it-all from staying awake all night solving calculus, HCV & Permutations & combinations to sleeping from evening to afternoon (next day :P) during the holidays as a part of the "exam hangover" in the more carefree post-school period of life. To my best abilities, I have pushed my circadian rhythm to insane extremes, trying to convince myself that there is nothing really superhuman !! That its all within human limits ..!!!

BUT, in the last few years, I have, through trials, errors & experiences-good & bad, realised that SLEEP- a good, refreshing sleep- has become one of the most under-rated things in today's scenario- especially in the context of so called mad rush of climbing the so-called "career ladders". You can read more about that here or here.
Ooops!! I almost forgot that you need to even forego those eight priceless hours to convince your girlfriend/boyfriend that you love her/him, without  even giving a second thought to the fact that had your partner actually cared about how much you can actually  love them, had you woken up fresh. I wish your partner actually understood that the love conveyed by a fresh smile on your face cannot be matched by the countless hours spent in convincing (and NOT) loving you !

The problem with most of us is that only rarely (because of our bad lifestyle habits) have we NOT been sleep deprived, which means that we have never experienced the efficiency of a fully rested mind- which, unfortunately implies that we are trapped in a vicious circle.

We take sleep so much for granted that we have almost forgotten the age old wisdom which says that the purpose of any kind of work is to lead us to a state of rest and perfect stillness of mind. Needless to say that when Ratan Tata himself admits that the only purpose of his running the entire TATA group is to experience a peaceful sleep at night.

So for all those who still go by the myth that Management is about sleepless nights and "jaagarans"  full of  jargons (this alliteration is both inspired & purposeful), please read here about the Competitive advantage that a "good night" sleep brings to the Manager in you.
And it not only makes you a better manager, it makes you a better friend, partner, colleague, parent and a better and more aware citizen & human being.
Not forgetting to mention what Harsha Bhogle,one of my favourite speakers, says -" What takes people ahead is their attitude, work ethic and how much aware they are of themselves."
And lets not forget, a proper sleep is critical to your awareness at all times!

P.S.- This post has been written by me after a long unwanted spell of sleep deprivation that I have been experiencing in the last few weeks (and have been so far unsuccessful, but will soon succeed in countering) and reminds me of my Mom :) and her lullaby. It also reminds me of a friend who gave me one of the best formulae of a perfect sleep- a clear mind and a sufficiently tired body when we go to bed.

Good Night :)  and sweet dreams :)!!!
Sleep well :)


1 comment:

  1. Being myself a night owl and someone who has been perpetually sleep deprived, I could only relate to it more

    ReplyDelete