Tuesday, July 28, 2015

To Heaven and Back :) - on your marks!

The onset of Monsoon had been a Goan retreat for me- watching virgin beaches and forts, as well as the towns and villages (less talked about, but equally beautiful to get immersed into the natural beauty)- sans tourists and more importantly, sans the garbage. And an impromptu one at that- with wind in my hair and the sands at my feet! Life has been offering pleasant surprises of late, and I consider myself incredibly lucky for the wonderful ways in which they unfold- welcoming each one with open arms :)

No wonder, I feel like a pilgrim, and not a tourist when I travel. :) 
Every new place evokes a new untouched corner of my mind. And I feel closer to myself than before.

When the Goa sojourn ended, and I was about to return to Mumbai, waiting for the bus to leave, I began pinging people randomly. Just because I was feeling too good and happy, enjoying my own company as much as I had enjoyed the place- and wanted to share it. And when a former colleague of mine just remarked that he had a road trip to Leh-Ladakh planned  three weeks later with a group of enthusiastic amateur bikers, I just couldn't hold myself back. I immediately asked if I could join and the group luckily obliged. This had been on my mind for the last one year, but didn't expect it to happen anytime soon. It was on my bucket list, planned more like a graduation trip, one with close friends. Getting people you know take time out of their different schedules at the same time is a Herculean task, which, despite all its turn-offs has made me independent enough to venture out shopping/eating/travelling alone quite frequently. So, unwilling to let go of an opportunity, and regardless of the risks and apprehensions of a road trip in a strange land, with mostly strangers, I immediately booked my tickets for Delhi, where I would join them. And then, I started my jugaad for woolens and browsing blogs for dos and don'ts.

On 4th July, I reached Delhi in the morning and boarded the bus to Manali a few hours later. 5-6 hours after leaving Delhi, and traversing Haryana & Punjab, we entered Himachal Pradesh, the land of the Gods. My excitement was scaling up. I had read quite a few accounts of Acute Mountain Sickness of travellers in Ladakh, and had almost suffered one myself on a trek to Surya Top in Uttarkashi, a few years ago. But this time, I was just trying to keep myself as observant of myself as possible. I didn't want to skip witnessing even a single moment this time, come what may. And I had increased my pranayams and Surya Namaskars before the trip to do whatever I could in the remaining time, to make myself more adaptable, especially when it came to lung capacity.

When I woke up early in the morning, we were 3-4 hours from Manali. The monsoons had just hit HP it seemed. And my parents were sending me constant reminders of the unfavorable weather forecasts of HP for the next one week. In the narrow valley below, I could see the strong currents of the river Beas, clouded by mist, and nestled between mountains, which were covered with trees and at places close to human settlements, apple orchards. Wherever the road ran along the river, signboards cautioned people not to venture to the banks. The night was light a long dark tunnel, gate-keeping the sights and sounds of heaven. The sight of the magnificent Beas itself took my breath away. Everything that followed, I said to myself, would be a bonus!

When with nature, I go blank. Witnessing the Creator and Creation in all their glory and splendor is meditative. Who am I? Surely not important enough than the beauty around me. What is life? Surely not serious enough to remember right now. What is my purpose? Surely not being anywhere save this moment. Nothing is important, not even I. What else but here and now? 

Kullu is the district headquarters and Manali, 40-50 km further, is the focal point for tourists from all over the world, who then diverge into the different directions, Ladakh, Lahaul-Spiti/Spiti valley, and other famous as well as less trodden treks and drives to escape into the Himalayas for it can give them all they want of it. Adventure, thrill, respite & calm- more the merrier. We reached Manali at around 10 am on the morning of 5th July. The goal was to freshen up, buy/rent the remaining necessities of the trip, get the bikes and hit the road in 4-5 hours, which we did.

And meanwhile, in the din of the bike repair training by the mechanic, the wrapping and mounting of rucksacks on bikes, the verification of documents, the purchase of gum boots and medicines, and the discussion of the itinerary, I was trying hard to memorize the names of everybody else in the group.

Acclimatization!










No comments:

Post a Comment